One of the more popular but difficult assignments students face at some point in their lives is writing an essay about love. Many students are confused about the nature of this type of writing assignment because there are so many different directions they can take to explore the subject. One can choose to write a love relationship essay where he or she chooses to write on the first-hand experience about romantic love with a partner. Another can choose a self-love essay in which he or she can write about something they like about who they are as a person.
First, let us have a look at some of the more popular assignment topics for writing an essay on love then we’ll give a few simple steps to take when writing a love essay.
Love Essay Topics to Choose From
- What is Love Essay? This kind of writing may also be called a definition essay on love. Some of the issues you may want to explore are to define love from a personal position compared to the position of others. This kind of writing can be anywhere between 500 – 1000 words, so following a traditional 5 paragraph format is recommended.
- Essay about Family Love. There are so many things you can write about when doing this kind of assignment. You can write about your love for a specific member of your family or you can take a fresh approach and write a mother’s love essay, where you describe your experiences regarding the challenges and sacrifices a mother makes for her children.
- Modern Love Essay. The concept of love has changed across several societies over the centuries. One of the issues which may interest you involves writing a love marriage vs arranged marriage essay. Today many more couples are divorcing at a significantly higher rate than a century ago. A lot of experts point to our shift away from arranged marriages. What do you think is the cause? Such an idea very close to ethics essay topics.
- Love at First Sight Essay. This can be tied to the previous topic. Many people hold on to the romantic view that love at first sight exists. Yet, there are many couples, as mentioned earlier, that break-up or get divorced after a few years. If you are writing a love essay for him, then you might take the opportunity to explore what it is that made you fall in love in the first place?
- Essay about Love Story. Finally, you may be asked to write about a love story that you read in class. Shakespeare, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Allende, Marquez are just a few well-known writers that have written love stories. A love stories essay is just a response or argumentative piece of writing you do about somebody else’s work.
How to Write an Essay about Love
The following steps will help you write a great short essay about love regardless of the topic you choose. You should be able to apply these steps to other types of narrative or opinion pieces of writing, but you find the process specifically designed for an essay about love:
- Determine what type of essay you need to write.
The list of essay topics above is just a short sample size of all the options you can write about. You should always check the assignment prompt carefully to determine precisely the kind of love relationship essay you need to do. If you have any questions or doubts, check with your teacher to ensure you don’t get started on the wrong foot.
- Brainstorm and write out a few things you want to say.
Participating in a brainstorming exercise is one of the most important early steps in the writing an essay about marriage and love. You start to explore different ideas and fleshing them out as much as possible before you do anything else. Even by coming up with a few simple words or phrases, you will start to generate a lot of the core content you will include in your assignment.
- Consider finding supporting evidence from sources.
Some assignments, especially when you are writing on a difficult concept like a definition essay about love, will be easier to do if you find supporting evidence from outside sources. What do others think about love? What do experts say about the subject? Even if they are opinion pieces you may develop a better understanding of what does love mean to you essay.
- Create an outline of all of the major components.
As you gather your brainstorming notes and supporting evidence or examples, you will start to see that your assignment is taking shape. You should, however, create an outline that you can refer to throughout the process of writing. Even if you want to speak from the heart, an outline will facilitate the task of writing something that can get complicated along the way, like a love essay for her.
- Write the first narrative essay about love quickly.
This is one of the best pieces of advice you will ever get when writing this or any other type of assignment. Your first draft is an opportunity to get all of your ideas down on the page. The first draft doesn’t have to be perfect. You simply want to express your thoughts concisely and clearly. When writing an I love you essay, you should aim to get it done as quickly as possible. So don’t second guess yourself and don’t put an end to your momentum to make a few simple corrections.
- Set the essay aside for a few days before revising it.
When you are tasked with writing a descriptive essay about a person you love, you may find that spending some time away from the assignment will help you find clarity with your initial thoughts. This is just one reason why you should start your assignment as early as possible. This allows you to step away for a while so that you can make revisions with a fresh perspective.
- Edit, proofread, and put in the final touches.
As you get closer to coming to the end of your true love essay you may be tempted to simply hand-in your revised draft. Don’t! You need to take more time to carefully edit and proofread your work. This means checking to ensure your language is clear and succinct. Consider reducing the number of words in your writing and check for errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Bonus: Ask someone if they will provide feedback.
This last step is considered a bonus in the writing process. If you have someone (e.g., a tutor, a parent, or a classmate) that can read your essay and provide feedback, be sure that you don’t hesitate to ask for this favor. Because you have put in so much work writing the assignment, you may not be keen about making changes. But a fresh pair of eyes can offer constructive criticism that will make your writing all that much better.
This gives you an idea of the directions you can take when you are tasked with writing an essay of love. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of things you can write about and we can provide the type of assistance you need to earn a high score on your assignment. If you need help with a love definition essay or something more specific like a Romeo or Juliet love essay, you can always turn to an online essay writer to ensure you hand-in the best possible assignment.