An essay is a vital part of the English language. There are many types of essay and one of them is observation essay. An observation essay is a type of essay in which the writer incorporates the readers through the whole process of any specific event. In other words, the author observes the subject carefully and writes down an essay telling about what he observed.
Let’s create a small observation essay example, imagine that you went to a farewell party.
If you want to write an observation essay then you need to observe everything carefully. After observing and noting down all the details, you will be able to write an observation essay.
Observation essay writing has its own unique format which makes it interesting. Below are the writing tips on how to write an observation essay.
Writing An Observation Essay
Before you can start writing your observation essay and pick good observation topics, make sure you can follow this process. Below is an outline of a basic observation essay, with details on each part.
Many people ask how to start an observation essay and the answer is from the introduction. Introduction is the first part of “how to write an observation essay”.
In the introduction, you will introduce your readers with what you saw, the place where you were observing, time of observation, why you choose that specific subject and any other piece of information that might help the reader to understand. The introduction of your observation essay should give an overview of the scenario of what you observed and its context.
Take a look at some observation essay examples, the author describes the background in the first paragraph. The paragraph should be concise because you don’t want to make your readers bored. The introduction is just a little background information or you can say an appetizer for the reader.
For example, you want to write a child observation essay or children observation essay. In the introduction, you will describe the place where you saw children or child. Furthermore, you will add the time when you were there and why were you there. In addition, you will also describe briefly what you saw to catch the reader’s attention. This is like throwing a hook to develop the reader’s interest.
- Three-Paragraph Body
The body is the real course meal of observation essay. In other words, it is the section where you will be describing the scenario. We advise you to write about three paragraphs here, so you have a typical 5-paragraph essay. Remember the notes you made during your observation? Its time to take them out and start arranging them into a cohesive narrative.
Do remember the most important point and that is don’t tell them, show them. Most writers make this mistake. This point is very important as well as the hardest point. You need to write in such a way that you are showing your readers what you saw. In other words, make the reader feel as if he/she was present in those moments that you experienced.
For example, let’s say that you went to the Amazon jungle and you want to describe others what you saw. You will write a naturalistic observation essay. You will describe what you saw such as exotic animals, trees, mud, insects such as spiders, hornet, etc. Make sure you write in an interesting way otherwise you will lose your reader’s attention.
If you looked at any observation essay before, you might have found it similar to academic assignments such as book report, article review, etc. Many experts recommend making a three-paragraph body which contains three powerful and supporting arguments. You need to arrange your notes according to the paper’s outline.
In conclusion, you will write a summary of the whole observation paper. Furthermore, you need to add your thoughts. You need to explain to your readers what observation means to you as well as for them.Sometimes, you have to add a hidden message behind an observation essay. Let the readers discover it but, in some cases, you can even explain it to provide ease for the readers to understand.
One you wrote your observation essay, now leave it for a couple of hours or a day. Take a break and then (after a couple of hours or a day) read your paper carefully. Check for the mistakes and edit it. Make sure you edit the content, grammar, spelling, and clarity.One of the most common mistakes is redundancy. This should be eliminated while you are proofreading. Read your paper at least 3 to 4 times to eliminate all the errors. Make sure that your essay makes sense as well as it is expressed clearly.
How to Start an Observation Essay
It is essential that you need to observe in order to write an observation essay. Most people think that observation means what the author sees and that is wrong. Observation includes a series of tasks such as observing sensations, sounds and smells that are happening around the author.
Moreover, you need to observe even the smallest detail that works together with other things. Let’s create an example that you want to write a physical therapy observation essay. When you enter the physical therapy room, you start observing everything such as the chairs, windows, pictures hanging on wall, table and other things. Make sure that you note everything because you will be recreating that vision. In case if you didn’t observe properly then you will be having an imagination break down while writing an observation essay. In other words, you will get confused while writing.
Observation Essay Basics
Your teacher asked you to write a classroom observation essay. You started observing the whole classroom and even observe the smallest detail. On your way back home you though you will ace it because you observed everything and didn’t miss even the smallest detail. But when you start writing, you got tangled in many problems, but why? Because you started to forget those details. That is why you should create notes and note down everything.
There is a high chance that you can forget but if you have written it down, that means you just saved a back up for yourself in case you forgot something. The best way to write down notes for an observation essay is to note them without looking at the notebook.
Some people even try to write an observation without making an observation which is wrong. For your process to be like easy essay writing, it is a must that you should experience the thing you want to observe at least once in your life. In order to create a wonderful observation essay, you have to be a topic guru. In other words, you have to explain to your reader what inspires you or what you survived.
Observation Writing Tips and Tricks
Below are some tips and tricks for writing an observation essay.
- Make sure that your topic is wonderful as well as attractive.
- Write observation essay in the present tense.
- Brainstorm all the ideas.
- Make an outline before writing.
- Try to use metaphors as well as precise language.
- Make your introduction and conclusion short and simple.
Can You Tell Me Some Good Observation Essay Topics?
There are many hot observation topics but you need to pick carefully based on current events in the literature, music, or cinematography. Below is the list of some good observation essay topics.
- Is honor more valuable than material goods?
- The cost of freedom
- The movie I can watch a thousand times
- What is the meaning of success?
- Is music considered as the best therapy?
- What are the three simple ways to get rid of the depression
- How did I manage to solve the problems in the hardest phase of my life?
Observation Essay Topics for College
As topics that require your profound reflection into real-life issues, you can create an in depth observation paper on different social constructs or stories. You can start your essay with these observation essay ideas:
- Quote a celebrity’s perception of tattoos and reflect on it
- Citing three instances, would you say tolerance is being kind?
- Reflect on any deadly games you’ve ever played
- What are the dangers associated with flying an airplane as a pilot?
- What are the dangers associated with riding a train as a passenger?
- What are the challenges associated with doing any sport of your choice?
- The challenges of freedom in today’s world where liberty is said to be true
- How money is made in today’s world
- Should anyone read as voracious as Elon Musk when he was a child?
- What do you think about music, and how curious can it make you be?
- Reflect on the mode of building a restaurant in Europe and compare it to what is available in America
- Do you think the backlash on Janet Jackson after the Super Bowl was normal even when it exonerated Justin Timberlake?
- The relationship of sport to leadership and how it could shape a person’s future
- What do you think about the new restaurant in your neighborhood
- What should you see in a leader?
- How to present gifts to strangers and friends
- Why do men kneel to propose to their partners?
- What you’d do if you met your favorite artist
- Reflect on a period your mum was dramatic
- What are the myths you once believed in, and why did you believe in them
- A road accident you witnessed, and your takeaway from it
- A bicycle crash you witnessed, and your decision after it
- Your hardest days in college, and what have you done about it?
- Your most emotional moment ever and how you have avoided putting yourself in a similar situation
- Do you think living in peace is easy?
- Can you live with a depressed person?
- What do you do when you’re bored?
- Which movie do you find most horrific?
- What will you do if you visit your favorite city for the last time?
- Reflect on the first time you drove a car and what it meant to you.
Interesting Observation Topics
As a student, knowing that humans are sensitive to the environment has made you more reflective. You may then decide to write some of the best essay submissions with these observational essay topics:
- A novel you enjoyed
- Best birthday gift ever
- Longest road trip with a friend
- The first time you pierced
- Your typical good leader
- Why do students have to study so much?
- What do you think about rock?
- The last time at the beach
- Personal meaning of success
- Money and love, which should be the priority?
- Which experience changes your life?
- What influences how you think?
- Why do people love romance books?
- Appraise who you admire
- What do you think about social media?
- What is your opinion of web3?
- How can cryptocurrency mean the end of the order in the finance space?
Observation Paper Ideas
As a college or university student, you may need to write a scholarly paper based on what you see in your environment. There are hundreds of ideas, but these observation paper topics may be your shot at the best grade:
- Effect of caffeine
- Does religion cure mental illness?
- Your role model and what draws you to them
- Gaming addiction
- Cartoons and children lessons
- Why do people tattoo their skin?
- Most annoying moments for kids
- Why people are obsessed with validation
- Why are some seasons so special?
- Reactions to women breastfeeding in public places
- Sexual violence in trains
- Reasons for taking pictures
- Why is memory so important?
- How does music ease stress?
- Why are friends integral to people’s lives?
- What are the reasons why people lie?
- How music changes lives
- How yoga became an important activity
- Gyming obsession post-COVID 19
- How men find women.
Observation Essay Topic Ideas
If you’d like to write an observation essay based on social or personal issues, there are many challenges in society requiring discussion. You can consider these observation topics:
- Why teachers are highly paid in some countries
- Why do some kids detest schooling?
- What’s the point of marriage?
- Is religion important to people, and why?
- Is there any difference between religion and God?
- How to treat arthritis
- How basketball has changed people
- Do animals get sad just like humans?
- How does bullying affect mental health?
- Why students don’t like classes
- Review of shopaholics and why some people may spend their last penny on shopping
- Why do some women detest having kids?
- First experience of jumping out of a parachute
- Why truck driving is difficult compared to driving a car
- What could make you get a tattoo?
- Difference between jealousy and envy
- What’s the connection between good parenting and a child’s future?
- Can parents shape a child’s personality?
- Most dangerous animals that exist
- How people make friends in a place, you are a stranger
- Is making friends easy for introverts?
- Major reasons why people quit their jobs post 2020
- How do people start a career on a whim and make it?
- Comment on the Netflix series, “Inventing Anna,” and what it means for capitalism
- Do you think capitalism is affecting the world?
- Do you think communism should be considered?
- How can anyone travel conveniently alone?
- Your experience in jail, if any
- Your experience in any correctional center or what you think about them
- Your experience of swimming and how you feel about the activity every time you do it.
Observation Research Topics
As a student in science, observing real objects or reality is one of the essential things you do. You can choose to focus on a specific field, and you may choose to diversify the choices of your observation paper topics or ideas. Consider any of these unique observation essay topics.
- An in-depth observation into any Hepatitis B community that you have either physical or virtual access to and what they do in the community
- An in-depth observation into any HIV community that you have either physical or virtual access to and what they do in the community
- What does the HIV cure of a 64-year-old woman mean to the research on HIV cure and the future of social and medical health in the world?
- Observe five girls and examine their eating disorder and what could be done to help
- Give a thorough examination of what your teachers first do when they enter your class, laboratory, or other lecturing space.
- Observe both young and old lecturers, what is the difference between them, and why are old lecturers above 70 years old still teaching?
- Is the quality of life dependent on the amount of money made?
- What are the common framework to conduct medical research, and what are the rules guiding the ethics of such research in the contemporary world
- Observe the ethics of research into the bane of illnesses or diseases in the African country, citing any three relevant examples
- How the charity works in today’s world, and the controversy around the UN’s work in vulnerable countries.
- How culture affects honesty
- How the human mind functions
- Multisensory receptors and their contribution to feeling
- How hearing aids work
- Do mobile medicine apps work?
- Does student loan mean long-term debt?
- Why do some people love BDSM?
- Clinical research and its importance
- How to prove hypnosis is real
- Comment on Egyptian mummification systems.
Observation is the key to success in observation writing. If you observed everything, which includes even the smallest detail, then it is a guarantee that you will ace it. Observation essay can be very interesting and at the same till very dull.
Get Observation Essay Writing Help
To make it interesting, you need to follow above all points. It doesn’t matter either you are a rookie or a professional, all you need to do is let your eyes and hands do the work and as Simone Bingemer said, “Often it is tiny fragments which either make a picture convincing or totally incidental”. Getting professional writing help is also a good solution. If you’re wondering “Can I pay someone to do my essay?” Yes you can! All you need is to contact our customer support and our expert writers will be on it right away!